Sometimes all you need to do before mastering baking is learn the perfect sponge cake recipe. Well I never had that difficulty because this age old recipe was passed down to me.
This recipe is a really old and traditional family one. I can guarantee you all that this is the best sponge cake ever. In the pic I’ve covered the cake with fondant, this can surely be avoided. This cake is the best for buttercream icing, pastries and many other things.
The secret to the softness of a cake which many don’t know is that the egg white should beaten until fluffy and such that it does not seep out of its container when tilted( sort of what we do for an Alaska).
The beauty of this cake is that it beautifully comes out of the container without sticking to it. I love this cake a lot and hope you all try and love it too!
Self raising flour- 1/2 kg
Unsalted soft Butter- 500g
Powdered sugar- 1/2 kg
Baking powder- 1 1/2tsp
Vanilla extract- 1 1/2 tbsp
Milk- 1 cup
1. In a bowl mix the butter and sugar with your hands in a clock-wise direction for twenty minutes.
2. In another bowl sift the flour with the baking powder and baking soda.
3. Separate the egg whites and yolks and keep the yolks aside. Take a bowl and beat egg whites using an electric mixer until thick and fluffy such that it sticks to the bowl when tilted. It may take over 30 minutes approx. Now add the extract and yolks and beat for a minute.
4. To the bowl which contains the beaten butter and sugar add the egg mixture and milk. Then slowly add the flour and beat using an electric mixer until all the flour has been added.
5. Preheat the oven for 10 min at 200degree Celsius and bake the batter in a greased container until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. The timing may vary for different ovens. For me it takes 20-25 mins. So do check every 10mins.